I can sometimes be indecisive... Especially when it comes to dessert.
My mom had some beautiful stalks of rhubarb growing in her garden, and I instantly thought strawberry rhubarb crumble! But, it was Easter after all, so maybe carrot cake since all the little bunnies love that (and by bunny's I mean my nephews). Well, why not combine them?!
I did just that, and it was deeelish!! Even my little bunny Beckett asked if he could bring some home (I bet he didn't know there was carrot it in).
- 3 cups of chopped rhubarb
- 3 cups of frozen strawberries
- 2 small oranges (2 tsp. zest & 1/2 cup juice)
- 1 cup finely grated carrot (about 3 carrots)
- 1 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup of raw crushed walnuts
- 3 tbsp. of raw honey
- 2 tbsp. of pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- In a large saucepan, add chopped rhubarb, strawberries, 1 tsp. of orange zest, freshly squeezed orange juice, and raw honey. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 10 minutes on low while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. Note: it's going to be quite juicy but don't worry the oats are going to absorb it all up when you bake it.
- In a large mixing bowl, add oats, walnuts, grated carrot, maple syrup, 1 tsp. of orange zest, and coconut oil. Stir well with a fork.
- In a medium pyrex glass dish, layer half the carrot oat mixture on the bottom, then the cooked strawberry rhubarb mixture, and finally, top with the remaining carrot oat mixture.
- Bake for 25minutes, or until toasty on top & juices are bubbling.
- Serve with a scoop of coconut ice cream or whip